Friday, November 7, 2008

Wonderful day

My first successful code, my first successful code, my first successful code!

Let me explain: Codes are what you would hear in an instant when a patient is crashing, like "Code blue, rm 102," All code nurses and physicians respond and the team works together to start CPR, intubate, shock/defibrillate if necessary, give emergency IV meds to stabilize the patient, and hopefully- transfer to ICU, if they're not already there. I have heard and read that only 10% of codes actually have a positive outcome and the patient is rescued.

So, to be involved in a successful code is truly a miracle and I was grateful for the experience. Several hours afterwards, my friend and fellow student says to me, "You're still smiling!" I was so excited and thrilled to be a part of this amazing profession. On the good and bad days, I see my parents and grandparents in my older patients. I see Avery in the children that come through the ER. I can identify with the family members that are hoping and praying I am doing everything within my knowledge and power to help their loved one. I hope that doesn't change and that I never let anyone down.

3 comments:

Honeybell said...

That is awesome! I've only seen two codes make it, and one of them was a DNR and no one knew. She was mad about it when she recovered too!

kansaswx said...

Good for you Chels! You sound so excited about being a nurse. It's nice to hear someone excited about what I'm sure can be a drudge job. I'm so proud of you.

Lisa said...

wahoo!!!