Saturday, April 25, 2009

Explaining life to a 3 year old

I have been wanting to watch the movie, "Marley and Me" since it has been in the theater...I decided against it after I heard about the ending...So, let me clearly say, don't read this if you are wanting to watch and be surprised by this sweet family movie.

Avery and I both enjoyed the movie. As I turned it off, I was gearing up for some talks about her strong desire for a dog...Which usually go something like, "Mommy, we need to get a house, a dog, and a trampoline...O.K. Mommy?"

It turns out, this wasn't what was on her mind...This was our conversation.

Avery: "Mommy, did Marley die just like Jesus died?"

Me: "Well, Jesus died for you and me, so we can live with him and Heavenly Father again....Marley died because he was an old doggie."

Avery: "Mommy, aren't you old?

Me: "No, Mommy is NOT OLD...Just bigger and older than Avery. But doggies don't live as long as people do."

Avery: "Oh, that's good...Well, I think Marley died because he went to the doctor...That's why I don't go to the doctor when I'm sick."

I have to admit, I am glad I have a little girl that thinks...

I loved this movie and it reminded me of our family's dog, Einstein...He was a beautiful golden retriever that seriously saved our family from minor and major tragedies...ie: finding my little brother, who was lost, in the acres of land behind our house in Wisconsin...yeah, we did lose every child in our family atleast once...its a wonder CPS never got involved!

Can't wait to get a dog for Avery...Together, they can both learn to listen to me!

2 comments:

April & Anthony Callison said...

I love that little Ave. So smart.

And to think I almsot forgot about Einstein after all these years - let alone the story of him finding one of the boys. I just remember him getting hit by the car and hiding underneath the deck for 2-3 days until he felt better.

Now it's take for you to get a dog of your own!!

Mandy said...

We watched that movie when it was in the theatres a couple months after our lab/golden retriever had to be put to sleep. it is a good movie but sad if you have had a dog like that.