Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Results

My interview was Monday afternoon. I went into it kinda frazzled. I had a test that day, a presentation and was running short on time. I made it there, pulled myself together, and said several prayers that I would be confident and I would get this job- if it was right for me.

I was told that the interview would consist of 5 nurses from ER, serving as the board. I walked into the room and there was eight. They each asked me different questions such as-

-what are 3 words your friends would use to describe you?
-what made you go into nursing?
-why do you want to work for this hospital system?
-what has been your most rewarding situation, taking care of a patient?
-what would you do if an older nurse was watching you perform a skill, on a patient,- and commented that you were completing the skill incorrectly?
-can you give us an example of how you have dealt with a difficult coworker?
-can you give us some examples of how you have dealt with difficult patients?

-where do you see yourself in 5 years?
-can you tell us the most difficult thing you've ever had to go through in your life?

I felt good about most of my answers- I was answering quickly and enjoyed talking about my experiences with nursing. The last question was difficult for me. I did not want to go on and on about my whole life story. My initial thought was - well, I am a single mom-motherhood itself isin't always a party-but I didn't say that. I answered very vaguely about taking ownership of your life's choices, trying to work through them and make more difficult decisions. I didn't know if it even made sense- but then I went on and talked about my career- ie:going to school.

After the panel interview, I went on a tour with one of the nurses. The emergency room department is hardcore. There are 88 beds and it has recently been remodeled and its beautiful. At the end of the tour, I did not want to leave!


So, the most important part of this story is.....I got an offer! The HR rep tried to call me yesterday but we never connected- so I finally got the news today. I am thrilled but it hasn't really hit me yet. This is what I've wanted since I was 18 and knew that nursing was my thing. Its taken a long time- but I am so close to being there- its mind-boggling to think that my dream is close to a reality.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

CONGRATS! I am so proud of you! that is fantastic!!

BryceFalk said...

Chelsea,
Congratulations ... you will be an asset to whoever hires you. I admire anyone who pursues their education!
Bryce (fellow nurse)

MariLouise said...

Oh my gosh Chelsea--Congratulations!! I am SO PROUD of you! That is awesome. Also, I am happy to report that your new background and ink color are totally visible in Google Reader. No more straining to see the screen. ;)

Audrey, Russ, and Carson said...

Chelsea, reading your blog gave me chills because I'm so tremendously happy for you! Way to go girl and way to follow your dreams!

lara said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
April & Anthony Callison said...

i mean, really, did you ever really have any doubt that you would not get the job!! you rock!

kansaswx said...

Congratulations Chelsea. you're going to make an awesome ER nurse. I'm so proud of you! xoxoxox