Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I want a job!

Last Saturday, I went to a nursing career fair for the best hospital system in DFW. It was only for graduate nurses that are interested in the nursing internships. I thought it was going to be a little busy but when I got there...The line to even get into the conference center was extensive and took half an hour. Needless to say, I waited, made my way in, and was there for three hours and talked to personnel from 3 specialty areas: telemetry, er, and medical-surgical..

.Everywhere you looked, there were hundreds of nursing students that were also looking for the same opportunities as me. I felt like all 3 "mini interviews" went well. I gave them a copy of my resume, talked to them about my experiences, and they asked some standard interview questions.

I really, really, REALLY want the ER position. This line was the longest but I knew I had to talk to someone. I was actually interviewed by 2 ER nurses. They loooked at my resume and quickly told me 3 things 1) I chose the nursing school in the area that would best prepare me for real world nursing. 2) My GPA shows that I am doing well and am very competent. 3) My experiences in nursing have put me at an advantage, for this specific position. This was nice to hear. Next, they mentioned that there were only 8 internships available at the Dallas main hospital. They asked me why they should choose me. I told them I was more capable. I adapted, learned quickly, and can work well in stressful and difficult situations. I do have experience in nurisng that has laid a great foundation but I am now wanting to do more and be in the most challenging situation- that will help me grow and develop to the best nurse that I can possible be...Well, I said something kinda like this...

We talked for a good ten minutes and I walked away feeling good about it. But, you still don't know- its very intimidating to know that so many others may be more suitable for the position you want. I knew I just had to wait. The interviews went well with the other areas and I would be happy just being in this hospital system.

Yesterday, I heard back from HR and the ER manager wants a second interview with me! I think I am ecstatic just to be selected from so many other people. They have narrowed it down to to 15-20 possibilities. I am confident in myself and know that it will work out if it is the right place for me. If not, there are other wonderful opportunities in nursing. I want a job and I want a job that I will be happy in- and I am pretty sure I can find that- which is a huge blessing in itself.

But, if you wouldn't mind saying some prayers and crossing your fingers, I would surely appreciate it...My interview is Monday at 4:00p...I'll keep ya posted!

3 comments:

kansaswx said...

Oh good for you Chels. They'd be crazy not to hire you!

KC Knicks said...

If this is what you really want, I will say an extra special prayer for you. I'm torn though.

Audrey, Russ, and Carson said...

How great Chels! I hope that everything works out and I'll definitely pray for you! Love you!